Saturday, September 28, 2013

If I Stay by Gayle Forman


 If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Summary: In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.
_____________________________________

Review
Plot: I had never read a book with a plot that takes place in one day (the book also has flashbacks) and one with such a simple premise. While reading the book I kept asking myself what I'd do if I was in Mia's shoes and I had no idea what I'd do, it is a near impossible choice. I love seeing her life through the flashbacks and seeing this family in them made this story one of the hardest books I have ever read.

Characters: Mia was a great character, but it was a little challenging to really get to know her just because we only saw who she was through flashbacks, but they helped us see who she was. Adam was one of my favorite characters in the book and really loved seeing how he and Mia first met. The rest of the family were really great and not your typical family which made them really unique and the story that much sadder.

Overall: This was a very simple and short story (my edition is only 196 pages), but it was a emotional roller coaster of book. It amazed me that in such a short amount of time Gayle made me fall in love with every single character and that made the book that much more heartbreaking, but it also had a touch of hope. Gayle has become one of my favorite authors and it all began with this book, if you love contemporary books with characters you'd swear are real and a story that makes you think you should not hesitate to pick up this book. 5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment