Sunday, May 26, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

 Summary: When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.
 _____________________________________________________________

 Review:
Plot: The plot for Katherines was something not like something I have ever read, I have never seen a book incorporate math (and footnotes!!) the way John Green did. I hate math, was never any good at it, and I thought this would be the second John Green book I'd read that I would hate, but I was wrong. The math parts is a little overwhelming at time, and I did even skip a few of those pages, but it did not make the story less enjoyable. I thought the main plot would be just a road trip for the entire book and at first was disappointed when the road trip ended but this ended up being one of my favorites of the year! I loved finding out about why he only dated girls named Katherine and why each of the relationships didn't last.

Characters: The characters in this book were really funny and they felt real which was my biggest problem with Paper Towns, none of the characters felt like they would exist. Colin is a great main character and I loved how 'nerdy' he was and how he acted around other people. Hassan, my favorite character, was so refreshing for YA, I loved his little quirks (I laughed at every mention of Judge Judy!). Lindsay and her mother were also welcome additions to the book.

Overall: This book exceeded my expectations and I am really looking forward to reading more of John Green! The only downsides for me was too much math at parts, even though it fit the character perfectly, and too many footnotes at times. 4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment