Saturday, May 25, 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


The 5th Wave (Book 1) by Rick Yancey

Summary: After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

__________________________________________________________

Review: 
Plot: I really loved the plot of this book and for me it was something fresh since I don't normally read sci-fi. It had a romance, obviously, and I thought it was handled pretty well throughout the book. My only problem is I don't see how Rick Yancey could make 2 or more books in this trilogy/series, but if he came up with this brilliant book I am positive he can prove me wrong.

Characters: I really enjoyed how he did different points of view throughout the book but the main character is Cassie and I really enjoyed her as a character. At times she came off as a little shallow but she is a flawed human, as are all these characters, and that is what made her feel so real. The other characters were also great! I loved Evan and learning about him through the book and Sammy's chapter was such a great addition to the story. Sure, it didn't give any real new information, but it was so heartbreaking watching that chapter unfold through the eyes of a child.

Overall: I loved the pacing of this book so much, it flowed really well and didn't seem so long while reading it, the book really flew by! I was a little worried about reading this book at first because I didn't like his other series but after getting past the prologue I knew I was in for a treat and I was not disappointed! His writing was lovely and I will be trying The Monstrumologist again. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series! 5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment